megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bikes, Books, and a Bride Most Begrudging

"Ride your own ride." That advice comes from my friend Gloria, a Harley rider. We love riding in the mountains, Gloria and her husband each on their own bikes while I enjoy passenger status behind my husband. Each rider is responsible for his or her own safety. If Gloria were following her husband and he made a maneuver that wouldn't be smart for her to try, even if it was fine for him, she wouldn't blindly follow him. He rides his ride, and she rides hers. They can't make identical decisions because they're on different bikes, in different positions on the road.

I believe the same principle applies to writers, and I want to start my first-ever blog by celebrating a new writer who rides her own ride instead of playing follow-the-leader.

Deeanne Gist's first novel from Bethany House, A Bride Most Begrudging, is livelier and a whole lot more fun than most of the historical novels I've read. Dee prayed over every line of the book, writing it to please her audience of One. It's hilarious sometimes and heartbreaking at other times, like real life can be.

The story is set in Colonial Virginia, and Dee did meticulous research for historical accuracy. The characters, Drew and Constance, are presented with an honesty that, fortunately, is gaining more acceptance in Christian fiction these days. I can identify with these characters. No, I've never been bartered as payment of a gambling debt and then turned over to a man who already bought another bride just that morning, but I can certainly sympathize with Constances's less than saintly reaction!

Here is Deeanne’s website: http://www.deeannegist.com
And her blog: http://www.deeannegist.com/blog
And the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764200720

How many of you out there have read Bride already?

7 Comments:

At August 11, 2005 12:48 PM, Blogger MD Brauer, MD said...

Me, I have read A Bride Most Begrudging, and welcome to blogging, Meg. I get to be the first to post here.
I will link you.
Blessings,
Marvin

 
At August 11, 2005 1:38 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks, Marvin, for being my first commenter on my first blog. Please make yourself at home.

 
At August 11, 2005 4:47 PM, Blogger lindaruth said...

Welcome from me, too. Great post.
Linda

 
At August 13, 2005 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im reading it "write" now... a wonderful friend loaned me her copy!

 
At August 17, 2005 9:58 AM, Blogger Vicki McCollum said...

Hi Meg, I like your writing/blogging style. Especially the motorcycle wisdom: My husband and son are now motorcyclists! Sort of, they've taken the safety classes and bought a 250cc, legal for 14 yr old's to ride here in Oklahoma.
Welcome to blogging. I'd love to read some of your writing! Are you a member of Faithwriters or FCW?
Vicki

 
At August 17, 2005 6:59 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Hi, Vicki. Yes, I'm in ACFW. Great group.

My husband was 14 when he got his first motorcycle, back when it was legal to have a street license at that age. I can't believe his mom let him ride it to school every day!

 
At August 25, 2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks, Carol. And because you love to laugh, you've got to read Deeanne's book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home