megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Domesticity or the lack thereof

I've never been domestically inclined. Oh, I've tried to fit myself into that mold. I've played the role of the model housewife. I know how to sew, scrub, cook, bake, and pinch a penny. But certain circumstances bring out my true priorities.

The broken oven, for instance. We've lived with it since June. I'm perfectly capable of picking up the phone and calling an appliance repairman. But have I? Nooooo. Why would I want to bake in the heat of summer, huh?

A domestically-inclined person would call about the oven within hours or invent a way to bake over an open fire in the back yard. Me, I discover the crockpot dinners in the frozen-food department of the grocery store. You throw the contents of the bag into the crockpot and turn it on. Eight hours later, dinner's ready except for minor finishing touches. That's my kind of domesticity. That, or carryout. Who needs an oven?

If it had been my computer on the fritz, I would have called for help immediately if not sooner.

Okay, you're reading this blog, so you're at least reasonably computer-literate. Are you also reasonably domestic, or are the two mutually incompatible?

7 Comments:

At September 14, 2005 2:12 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

Mutually incompatible.

So ... are your saying your grocery store has ready-made crock pot dinners that only require opening, dumping in, adding water and pushing the "on" button???

If so, I need details!! (name of companys, name of products, what aisle it is found on, etc)

 
At September 14, 2005 3:51 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Yes, ma'am, that's exactly what I'm saying, except you have to add the finishing touches (all included) about half an hour before you want to eat. A little bag of pasta, for instance.

Banquet Crockpot Classics. They're in the frozen entrees section, and they're good. Banquet didn't pay me to say that, either, but then I'm no gourmet.

 
At September 14, 2005 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used those! I've used those! They are great.
The next best thing (for not many people... like, well, just 2, maybe 2-1/2 people) is the skillet meals - Voila! brand and the Contessa brand are great (and pretty cheap)! You just throw it in the skillet and stir it a couple times, and add the sauce that comes with it.

 
At September 14, 2005 5:54 PM, Blogger Meg said...

That's my girl. Convenience foods all the way!

But now I've seen it all... I was just at the store and saw liners for crockpots. I am not making this up. You throw the frozen crockpot ingredients from Banquet into your crockpot lined with a Reynolds liner, and you have no cleanup. Just when I thought I'd already found the epitome of lazy cooking.

 
At September 14, 2005 8:27 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

Oh, man. You have no idea what great news this is! I can't wait to tell my sister. At my wedding shower (years ago) all guests were suppose to bring their favorite recipe on a card. My sister's card was titled "Frozen Dinner." Instructions: Read directions, Follow directions, Eat.

Ha!

 
At September 14, 2005 8:55 PM, Blogger Meg said...

That's my kind of cookin'!

Or my other favorite recipe:

1. Dial carry-out place.
2. Pick up.

 
At September 15, 2005 9:55 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

My sister got all the Betty Crocker genes in our family, so I'm all over this idea of the Banquet Crockpot Dinners. Wish I'd read this before I went to the store today. I love the Garlic Shrimp Pasta Voila dinners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home