megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

The right fig tree

Last night about twilight, I sat in our sunroom with the windows open and just watched the rain. And realized I couldn't remember the last time I had just sat still with eyes and ears open. With nothing to do but . . . be.

I've been on a tear for the last few weeks, finishing/revising/polishing a manuscript. Now that I've finished it to my current satisfaction, I haven't looked at it again. I'm taking a short break, but I'm itching to start my next story. Whatever that may be.

A few years ago, I was e-mailing back and forth with my author friend Sherrie in Idaho, and I said I'd been trying to figure out what the Lord wanted me to write next. She e-mailed back: "I think He wants you to write what you want to write." I love that idea.

But then there's also the concept I shared with another friend who was contemplating starting a book. I told her about my fig tree that I grew in a pot in our house in Michigan. For several years, the thing hardly grew, but when we moved to Georgia and I planted it outside, it took off. It even developed an offshoot, and then I had two fig trees. I started getting excited. Finally, after about five years in Georgia, I saw the first tiny green figs. My long-awaited harvest had nearly arrived, and I could hardly wait to taste sweet, delicious figs.

But they weren't very sweet. Didn't have much flavor. They were just . . . okay. No matter what we did to that tree, it could only produce bland, semi-sweet figs. All that time, I'd been nurturing the wrong variety of fig tree.

It takes a long time to write a novel. I don't want to nurture those pages for months or maybe years, and then realize the fruit can never be more than just okay.

So, this is where I have to take time to think, to pray, to be. To be quiet before the Lord. I do believe Sherrie's right, that He wants me to have freedom to write what I want to write. He doesn't dictate what my next project should be. But I need His wisdom to guide my freedom.

4 Comments:

At October 08, 2005 5:40 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

Amen, Sister. Mind if I join you on that porch? I could use a little quiet time, myself.

Reminds me of a verse I'm particularly fond of. The one in Isaiah that says, "Waken my ears to listen like one being taught."

I love that. It would have been so easy to put the period after the word "listen." Instead, he adds that last little qualifier. And that changes everything.

Congrats on finishing your manuscript. Maybe, just maybe, while you're sittin' out there with the God of our universe, He'll say, "Well done, Meg. Well done."

 
At October 08, 2005 6:34 PM, Blogger Meg said...

I would love it if you joined me on the porch.

There's a lot packed into that verse. Notice the verb "waken?" It must mean our ears are asleep sometimes.

I don't want to have sleepy ears.

 
At October 08, 2005 11:27 PM, Blogger michael snyder said...

Wise lady. I watered and nurtured a fig tree for two-and-a-half years before I realized that what I really wanted was a Fig Newton Tree. (And I'm only half-joking!)

Great post. And it sounds like a great porch too.

Enjoy the time off. Because as you well know, the infatuation with your new cast of characters will wear off and there will be much work to do. But I'm sure you'll be up for it...too much talent rattling around in that head of yours.

 
At October 09, 2005 1:03 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Aw, thanks, Mike. I hope it's talent rattling around in there, and not a few screws loose.

Let me know if you find a Fig Newton tree somewhere, okay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home