megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Comes a Horseman, and he's scary

I'm interrupting my usual mindless ramblings with a book recommendation. Yesterday I started reading Comes a Horseman by Robert Liparulo, a thriller with nice, creepy cover art, and I'm hooked.

Set a couple of likable FBI agents on the trail of a killer who dresses like an ancient Norseman and travels in a VW bus with three bloodthirsty wolf-dog hybrids. Now add a selfish and powerful man who wants to believe he's the anti-Christ, and you've got a highly entertaining mix. And don't forget Mr. Powerful's warped but vulnerable Italian buddy who walks around with a couple of paperbacks taped to the sole of one shoe because one leg is shorter than the other, and the Catholic priest in New York who researches Near Death Experiences. The hellbound variety, not the kind that features beautiful light and eternal peace at the end of the tunnel. All these characters are caught in a conspiracy that's veering off course.

I'm only halfway through, but if the second half is as good as the first, I'll enjoy it to the last page. The squeamish might argue that the gore is depicted a little too realistically, but they can skim over those paragraphs if they must. The realism didn't bother me, and I appreciate Liparulo's portrayals of a broad spectrum of humanity. The good guys are far from perfect, and even the bad guys show hints that they at least used to be human.

You can find the book at Amazon or at bookstores, Christian or otherwise. If you want to read more about Robert Liparulo, his home page is here. Or you can go here for the first part of author Chris Well's interview with Liparulo, with the second installment posted today and the third tomorrow. Very interesting reading.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get my real-life duties out of the way so I can open the book again. I'm worried about the son of one of the FBI agents. I don't think they should have left the kid home alone when that Norse guy and his beasts are still on the loose . . . .

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2005 9:05 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Hey Megawriter! I'm only on chapter five or so but love it already. Just got the book yesterday. Okay, I'm off to read now. Have a great night!

 
At November 30, 2005 10:01 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Hey, M.C.! Yeah, isn't it a fun read? I'm still totally hooked, grabbing it to read another chapter or two whenever I have a few minutes. Short chapters are nice for busy days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home