megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

The airplane in my garage

A man down the street from me seems to be building a small plane in his garage, or maybe he's refurbishing an old one. I can't tell from a quick drive-by. It's just the skeleton of a fuselage. No skin, no wings. I catch a glimpse of it every couple of weeks when the garage door is open. Once in a while, it's outside on the driveway. It never looks like much has changed, but I suppose he's making progress and learning a lot about plane-building.

I've never actually seen him working on it, though. Maybe it's not a man. Maybe it's a woman or a couple of bored kids. (Have you read Bored, Nothing To Do by Peter Spiers? Great picture book about a homemade airplane. But I digress.)

My neighbor must field a lot of questions. "Why are you building an airplane? How long have you been working on that thing? You really think it's gonna fly one day?" Some of his friends and neighbors probably laugh at him, but I won't because it hits a little too close to home. I'm building my own flying machine. Not in my garage, but at my computer.

My friends and family ask me about my writing, often. Most of them ask encouraging questions. Some are more skeptical: "How long have you been working on that thing? You really think you'll sell a book someday?" Yes, I do. I've had some successes (see my earlier posts about the ACFW conference if you want details) and I've learned a lot about book-building.

I've also learned to ask "why" of myself. Why am I writing this particular book? Why am I the one who should write it? Why am I writing at all? Why fiction? Can't I do something more practical than telling stories? Can't I at least bury worthwhile sermons in them?

Well, no. Sorry. Because God gives me stories, not sermons. It's kind of like the Olympic runner Eric Liddell, who felt God's pleasure when he ran. I feel God's pleasure when I write stories. I love to write them, love to read them.

Why is my neighbor building a plane? I bet it's because he loves to fly. When he gets his flying machine in the air one day and buzzes the neighborhood, I'll wave and cheer for God-given dreams and perseverance. Then I'll go back to the airplane God gave me. One day, it'll fly.

11 Comments:

At November 01, 2005 12:06 AM, Blogger michael snyder said...

I just love that.

Mike

 
At November 01, 2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Aw, thanks, Mike. How's your own flying machine coming along? Do the kidlets give you much time to work on it?

Speaking of kids, I bet yours would love "Bored, Nothing to Do." We loved Spiers' books when we were frazzled young parents. Now we're frazzled old parents....

 
At November 01, 2005 10:19 AM, Blogger michael snyder said...

I do need to check out Spiers, as we so often have to resort to re-reading things. Our kids love stories...go figure.

My flying machine is in decent shape. I had one scene that was tyring to take over my life, so I finally heeded my wife's advice and moved on. Now it's a half-developed scene, filled with inane prose, a perforated plot, and a ton of "notes to self". Now, for the first time ever, I have a daily word count goal and am batting a thousand...so far (I started yesterday!).

 
At November 01, 2005 10:48 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Go, Mike! Daily goals are wondrous things.

 
At November 03, 2005 2:27 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

What a great post! I feel the same way...it is my parents that ask why I spend so much time rewriting and sending out proposals. They think it is a 'pipe' dream. But I truly believe someday God will use my book to reach lost teens. It'll happen cause it is in His hands and His time.

 
At November 03, 2005 2:50 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for stopping by, M.C.

I hope your parents will understand one day, in the Lord's timing.

 
At November 04, 2005 9:32 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Meg, what a great comparison between your neighbor's plane and your writing. How are you doing?

 
At November 05, 2005 10:34 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Hey, Trish! It's good to hear from you. I should have looked you up while I was in Nashville for the ACFW conference. Merrillee told me you two got together and had a great time.

 
At November 08, 2005 9:28 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Yeah, we had lunch. She said she'd seen you earlier that morning but didn't know where you were right then.

 
At November 21, 2005 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, it's been almost a month....

 
At November 21, 2005 8:26 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Yeah, I've been busy working on that airplane.

Okay, I'll really, really try to post something new, interesting, and different tomorrow. Honest, I will. Thanks for the nudge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home