megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Monday, January 09, 2006

They're taking over my house!

I recently spent a little time with somebody who has fewer books in her whole house than I have on my cookbook shelf. (Not that I use my cookbooks often, since I'm highly allergic to domestic activities, but they're there if I need them.) I can't imagine being content with only a skeleton crew of books.

In this house, they multiply like bunnies. Besides the obvious places, like bookshelves, we try to corral our book population on end tables and beneath end tables, on the kitchen counter, on the dining room table, in boxes in closets, on the floor beside every bed, maybe some underneath the beds, but I'm afraid to look because they're probably overdue at the library, and a few in the bathrooms. They mate in the dark and produce baby books, or maybe I need to break the habit of stopping at garage sales, library sales, and bookstores.

Years ago, when a friend of mine started making a lot of money in her business, she shrugged and said she'd learned not to get too excited about money; the more you have, the more you want. Apply this principle to books, and I'm in deep trouble.

Maybe the love of books is the root of all clutter, or at least most of the clutter in my house, but at least it's happy clutter. Anybody know what I mean?

4 Comments:

At January 10, 2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

I'm right there with ya, Meg. My son asked if I would *please* get all those books off the top shelf of his closet. But, alas, I could not. I mean, after all, I might need one of them someday! ;-)

 
At January 11, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Meg said...

You're doing your son a favor, Deeanne. Think of the lessons he's learning. The importance of books, for instance, and the importance of letting a woman have her own way. His wife may thank you one day. ;)

 
At January 14, 2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

I SO know what you mean. Check out my blog today and you'll see pictures of my many, many bookshelves of books. These don't even include the ones on the shelves in the den. This is just my office. I've got the book-buying disease!

 
At January 14, 2006 7:49 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Hey, Trish! I just visited your blog and enjoyed your photos. It's always fun to see another writer's clutter when I'm tired of looking at mine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home