megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Smuckers and the toe

I had some half-baked, pseudo-intellectual ramblings taking shape in my mind this week, gearing themselves up to become a blog post, but then I went grocery shopping and a two-pound jar of Smucker's strawberry jam interfered with my toe and with my mental processes, such as they are, and all I can think about is that painful digit, which is now swollen and approximately the same color as the jam. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

Yeah, one of the grocery bags ripped, and the jar fell on the joint of my toe. Please, no wisecracks about toe jam.

I don't think it's actually broken. Still, the timing is ironic. Just yesterday, I was proof-reading one of my completed novels and rather enjoying the scene wherein our hero breaks his big toe. If I'd done the shopping yesterday, I might have had all kinds of new sensory details to add to that scene, unless I'd had a different bagger who'd had more sense than to pack so much weight into one flimsy bag. But I've already sent the manuscript off to my agent, so my first-hand (first-foot?) experience is a day too late.

And that's the way it goes. Another glamorous day in the life of a writer. Tomorrow will be better. I'll be posting a sample chapter from Christopher Well's Deliver Us from Evelyn, his new novel from Harvest House. Looks like another good book from Chris.

6 Comments:

At June 01, 2006 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry about your toe!

Cinj

 
At June 01, 2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Thank you. All commiserations are gratefully accepted.

 
At June 01, 2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Lindi said...

I dropped a jar of peanut butter on my toe when I was fifteen and still remember it!! It hurt!! Are you having trouble walking???
Get better soon. (and jot down all the sensory details anyway. They'll probably come in handy!)

 
At June 02, 2006 7:47 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I wouldn't say I'm having much trouble walking. Come to think of it, though, I need another excuse to avoid doing housework....

 
At June 02, 2006 4:07 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

Oh, golly, Meg. I'm so sorry. Amazing how that one little toe can cause so much havoc on the whole body. I think it's time to prop yourself in bed, put a bell beside it and milk this for all it's worth!

 
At June 17, 2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Missy Tippens said...

I'm late sending condolences. I'm sure it's all better by now. But the fact that I'm late means I can better commiserate since I slammed a chair on my big toe last week. :) I have a whole lot more empathy at this point in time. LOL

Missy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home