megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Scattered

Yesterday was one of those scattered-in-all-directions days. I really wanted to be writing, especially because I'd figured out a major plot change for one of the novels I'm revising and so I wanted to dig into it. Immediately. But it was our night to host a home-group Bible study, so I had to clean the house, never a small task. I wasn't staying for home group, though, because I planned to attend the first meeting of a local chapter of American Christian Fiction Writers. Fortunately, our home group doesn't deal in guilt. As a matter of fact, we're studying Romans, where Paul says there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, even if they play hooky from Bible studies once in a while. (Okay, I added that last bit.)

So I was running around, cleaning the house and also doing laundry, because that's a task that never ends. I set up my laptop on the dining room table, close to the laundry room so I would hear the dryer buzz and wouldn't fry any clothes in the real world while I was revising my imaginary world in bits and pieces. Clean a bathroom, write a paragraph. Fold a load of clothes, write a paragraph. Run to the grocery store, write a paragraph. That's how my day went.

About the time I was getting aggravated with interruptions and mundane chores, my husband walked in and said he'd spotted a pair of bluebirds in the back yard, and some daffodils--daffodils we didn't know we had, because we didn't live here last spring. But there they were. Unexpected gifts. Bright yellow flowers, bright blue birds, and a big grin on my husband's face as he set about finding our old bluebird house and hanging it on the fence.

No, I didn't make much progress on my revisions, but God scattered some nice surprises across my scattered day, and I'm thankful.

2 Comments:

At March 01, 2006 12:43 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Of course you wouldn't do that, Sally. I wouldn't, either. Of course not.

I have a relative who sometimes sticks dirty pots and pans in the oven to get them out of the way for a while. A great solution, except sometimes she forgets to take 'em out when she fires up the oven for the next meal. The handles on some of her pots are slightly melted.

 
At March 07, 2006 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't you just love "chore days" when all you really want to do is be locked up in a cabin somewhere writing to your heart's content.

But hey...at least the family has clean clothes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home