megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Feeling like an auntie

I don't know this from experience yet, but I've heard that authors feel like new parents when they hold their newly published books for the first time. They've gone through a long pregnancy, but there it is, finally. A baby made of ink on paper. The thoughts of the author's heart have gone through all the stages of the writing process and the publishing process. Finally, what started as a germ of a story is a real book.

I went to my mailbox on Friday, and there was the gorgeous hardcover edition of The Measure of a Lady by my friend and critique partner, Deeanne Gist. I loved this story months ago, when I read the first line: "This Street Is Impassable, Not Even Jackassable"--a sign that actually stood in muddy, mucky San Francisco during the Gold Rush.

Deeanne is devoted to historical accuracy, but she also writes a fast-paced, funny story that goes deep while it entertains. This book is her baby, but I feel like one of the proud aunties. Congratulations on another beautiful baby, Deeanne!

1 Comments:

At May 15, 2006 8:25 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Yep, isn't it fun? But as book-aunts, we never have to babysit. Just enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home