megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Ever prayed for a synopsis?

For a week or two now, off and on, I've been wrestling with a synopsis--a six-page summary of a novel, written in present tense, for my agent to use in selling the book. Sounds easy enough, except I was also revising the whole manuscript, so the synopsis kept changing. Once the plot finally stopped changing, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to wrap up the synopsis.

Wrong. Even after the plot was solid in my chapter outlines and in my head, the synopsis stank. It was too detailed, too busy, too confusing. It was bad.

But yesterday after church, my friend Jerry walked up to me and said he wanted to pray for me and my writing. I wasn't going to argue with that. So Jerry prayed, briefly. I went home and didn't even look at the danged synopsis. But I woke up this morning knowing how to start the thing in a different vein. Same plot, just a different way of tackling it. By 10:30 this morning, when I was scheduled to have a phone conference with one of my critique partners, I had a brand-new synopsis to e-mail to her, and she loved it. (She's so sweet. She hadn't wanted to tell me the old version of the synopsis smelled to high heaven, so she said it much more tactfully than that.)

So, there you have it. Prayer works wonders. Even on a stinky synopsis. Thank You, Lord. And thanks, Jerry, for praying.

9 Comments:

At March 21, 2006 11:32 PM, Blogger michael snyder said...

That's awesome, Meg. I hate doing synopses. Probably just need to pray harder...or maybe pay someone else to write it for me!

 
At March 21, 2006 11:58 PM, Blogger Meg said...

It would take an obscene amount of money to convince somebody to write a synopsis for somebody else's story, wouldn't it? Wait, maybe we've got a business idea here....

 
At March 22, 2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should say that. I had a brainstorm (not the money-making kind) yesterday that could help a few of us.

michael snyder

 
At March 22, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I'll take all the help I can get.

 
At March 25, 2006 11:30 PM, Blogger Missy Tippens said...

Just stopping by to say hello!! :)

Missy

 
At April 19, 2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay... time to post a new blog sometime this month :)

 
At April 19, 2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Who, me??? I've been busy here, girl!

 
At April 25, 2006 8:13 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Hey, Susan! I'm just a passenger at this point, although I've tried piloting our son's dirtbike. I like sitting behind my hubby and letting him worry about the traffic, etc., while I enjoy the scenery. Riding is my de-stress time.

I'd like to visit the Texas hill country, too. Our older kids are on the staff of a Christian camp there every summer, and they've shown us some beautiful photos.

 
At June 02, 2022 5:17 AM, Anonymous Jerry Voss said...

Interesting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home