megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

ACFW moments: the good, the bad, and the ugly

I wrote a post yesterday, but Blogger ate it. So, instead of a cohesive and intelligent report from the ACFW conference, I'll round up some random memories in no particular order. Which might be more interesting anyway.

An encouraging moment: As I walked down the hall, I overheard a young man mention P.G. Wodehouse as a favorite author. Yeah! I've loved Wodehouse since I was a kid. It's nice to know some people still read the oldies-but-goodies.

A mind-boggling moment: When I started to comprehend Mary DeMuth's words about writing as a calling. This whole crazy journey is a gift, like Moses' journey with God's children was a gift and a calling. It wasn't something God would take away from him. It was what Moses was born to do.

A puzzling moment: when the moderator asked editors on a panel to name a memorable book they'd read lately, and several of them couldn't come up with a title. Hmm...this is troubling.

An answered-prayer moment: I had asked God to give me just one minute with a particular editor, not to pitch to him, but to ask if a friend could submit her work since she couldn't attend the conference, but she won her category of the Genesis contest. At breakfast on Sunday, he walked by. I said hi, and he sat down and said he had five minutes. That's five times what I'd asked for.

A fun moment: watching a tango lesson in the hotel lobby at midnight.

A sweet moment: learning that my favorite agents in the whole wide world left a basket of chocolates for me at the front desk. Sadly, they're gone now. The chocolates, I mean. Not the agents.

And I guess I can't think of any bad or ugly moments except the way my flight home was delayed again and again. Even that wasn't too bad because I had friends, books, and chocolate to help pass the time. But next time, I think I'm driving. Right, Suzan?

10 Comments:

At September 29, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger michael snyder said...

Meg, great thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

It was great, great, great to see you again in Dallas.

Already looking forward to next time.

Mike

 
At September 29, 2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, Meg.

Road trip Dallas 2007 here we come!

 
At September 29, 2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Just so it's not a post-apocalyptic road trip, Suzan.

 
At September 29, 2006 12:23 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Blogger is so weird. I'd posted a nice rant directed at Mike because he didn't include me in his coolness contest over on his blog, but the comment never showed up. Oh, well. Consider yourself scolded, Mike. Yes, I forgive you.

 
At September 29, 2006 1:01 PM, Blogger nate said...

Well... I don't quite remember meeting you, so I'll assume I didn't. But, I do remember mentioning Wodehouse at some point (although my memory blanks as to who I was talking too). I actually made a post about him a week or two back. :)

-Nathan Knapp

 
At September 29, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Hi, Nathan! Welcome. No, we didn't meet. I was walking past and heard a young man (you, obviously) talking about Wodehouse but I didn't stop and barge in on the conversation. Maybe I should have :)

Now I'll have to find your post about Wodehouse, except reading it probably won't be conducive to making progress on my oh-so-serious novel.

Oh, do you know about the random-Wodehouse-quote website? It's at http://www.drones.com/pgw.cgi. If you hit your refresh button, it will come up with a new quote. Sometimes they repeat, but it's always fun anyway.

 
At September 29, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger michael snyder said...

Meg, you define cool. (But now I'm going to have to go back and check my own blog, I thought everyone was included. See what I get for blogging after midnight...)

 
At September 29, 2006 3:01 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Hi again, Mike. Blogging after midnight, perhaps combined with the lingering effects of conference-brain? I understand completely.

 
At September 30, 2006 7:47 AM, Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

It was so great to meet you Meg!!

 
At September 30, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Great to meet you too, frog-sticker lady! Can't wait till next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home