megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Good reads for chilly nights

Nights are getting a bit chilly here in Georgia. A good excuse to curl up with a book and a cup of coffee. (Like I need a good excuse, right?)

What I'm reading right now: The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. I stayed up late reading it last night and woke up this morning with his lovely, literary voice in my head. Not literary in the stuffy sense, okay? Literary is not a dirty word. The protagonist seems to be searching for God in some rather unlikely places while he deals with a cousin on the verge of a breakdown. It's set in New Orleans, decades ago. I think it's going to be one of those books that keeps me thinking about it for weeks after I've read the last page.

What I read before that: Scoop by Rene Gutteridge. It's a funny story about a girl who was both homeschooled and sheltered. (Keep in mind that those two words are not necessarily synonymous.) Now she's out in the mean-hearted real world, working behind the scenes at a TV news station. Being a veteran homeschooler myself, I really enjoyed the story, and I say kudos to Rene for poking gentle fun at lots of things that deserve to be poked. Including TV news.

Before that: Germ by Robert Liparulo. It's a fast-paced story about the possibilities of germ warfare that could target individuals by their DNA. I thought the character development was much better than I generally expect from a suspense read.

Before that: When the Heart Cries by Cindy Woodsmall. This story is about a young Amish woman whose forbidden relationship with a Mennonite man is threatened by a tragedy that sets her safe little world spinning out of orbit. I finished reading it shortly before the shooting at the Amish schoolhouse, and Cindy's skill in portraying these gentle people made the real-life tragedy feel a lot closer to home. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to Cindy's story.

What I'll probably read next: The Best of Evil by Eric Wilson or The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin or Straight Up by Lisa Samson. I like variety.

Thanks to my good friend Suzan Robertson who recommended some of those books and lent me a few.

4 Comments:

At October 27, 2006 2:06 PM, Blogger MD Brauer, MD said...

I really should pick up Wangerin's The Book of the Dun Cow. And I have also been remiss in not having read any of Lisa Samson. Everybody raves about her. I should check her out. thanks

blessings,
Marvin

 
At October 27, 2006 3:00 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

Wow. I'm impressed and am always appreciative of good recommendations.

I know what you mean by waking up after a late night read and having the tone or author's voice still with you. It's one of the reasons I have difficulty reading fiction when I'm in the midst of serious writing. It often takes a while to shake off the voice of whomever I've been reading, so I end up losing writing time.

 
At November 04, 2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Mike Duran said...

Hey Meg! I absolutely loved Book of the Dun Cow; it's an unforgettable fable. If I could read half as fast as you appear to, I'd have a good excuse to buy more books.

 
At November 05, 2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Meg said...

I'm enjoying Book of the Dun Cow, Mike. I'm about halfway finished, interrupted by a trip out of town.

See, the way to look like a fast reader is to neglect your blog for a long time, then post a long list of books you've read in the last month. People will think you read them all in a few days. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home