megawriter

I am Meg Moseley. Meg, a writer. Seeking the real God in the real world.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Playing by the rules or not?

I should be writing Christmas cards. Instead, I'm immersed in one more read-through of the suspense novel I should have sent my agent weeks ago. My friend Suzan just read it and gave me some suggestions that shouldn't take long to implement.

I'm still debating just how real and gritty to make this story. As an unpublished writer, I'll have a better chance of selling if I play by the rules of Christian publishing and keep everything squeaky-clean. As a reader who's often bored by Christian novels, though, I want to keep it real. To me, writing from a Christian perspective means including both the grace that saves us and the darkness that we've saved from.

My agent, whom I respect greatly, will probably ask me to play by the rules. And she knows the business, inside and out. On the other hand, some editors keep sounding the call for more realistic Christian fiction. That's the kind of editor I want.

Now, back to reading, with my pen hovering above certain lines that feel right to me but that might send my manuscript straight to the rejection pile. We shall see.

8 Comments:

At December 14, 2006 3:13 PM, Blogger Amy Wallace said...

I'm not so sure the "rules" are true anymore. I just read a Bethany novel that kept it way real on so many levels. I didn't get to keep some of the words this author got to say, but I believe my awesome editor let me and in some instances pushed me to keep it real.

So it can and does happen.

Write your heart, pray for your future readers, and trust the Spirit within you that it's not about keeping it "real" but about serving Him and the people He's called you to write for.

Amy

 
At December 14, 2006 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At December 14, 2006 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At December 14, 2006 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At December 15, 2006 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it. The story is sooo good.

 
At December 15, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Amy and Suzan.

Now I have to find out which Bethany book you're talking about, Amy!

 
At December 17, 2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Deeanne Gist said...

They are looking for good stories, Meg. I can't imagine it getting rejected for being too close to the edge. If it's good, I think they would surely sign you--and *then* make you take out anything that is more than they are comfortable with! ;-)

I'm with Amy. If your Spirit is urging you to keep it (or delete it), I'd surely listen to it's promptings.

 
At December 17, 2006 2:04 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks, Dee. Once again, you're a huge encouragement to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home